10/18/09

Lab #2: Go Without Your Cellphone for 31 Hours


Modern society depends a great deal on technology. Whether it adds or takes away from social capital isn't as obvious--but we know for sure that we need it a lot. Or do we need it? Kevin and I (Baron) did an experiment in which I tried to go without my cellphone for 31 hours. 31. Hours. Without. Cell. It was horrible, but somehow I managed it. Here, you can read all about what happened.
At first, I was in all of my classes so I didn't use my phone at all. After my last class, I went down to the piano tunnel and practiced away. And away. And away. And I never got a text asking me to go to dinner, never got to check the time (as much as I wondered) so I practiced until 7'o'clock, ate dinner very quickly, and ran up to do my homework.
After I finished my homework, I wanted to hang out with my friends--but I didn't know where they were! I kept wondering whether I had a text on my phone, if all of my friends were missing me, etc. etc. etc... it was driving me crazy! As I walked around campus, I was constantly feeling for my phone, thinking I had lost it, checking for the time. I was afraid I would miss curfew, and then ask someone for the time only to find I still had over an hour to kill. I went to practice some more, but it was a very unfocused practice because I couldn't stop thinking about my phone. Finally, I gave up and went into the connector to sit and read "The Picture of Dorian Gray." All in all, it was a hectic and frantic day.(The remaining hours were either spent in class, or asleep, so they don't contribute much to the experiment.)
All in all, I rely more on my phone than I thought. Although I don't text very often, I still use my phone for basic communication and for checking the time, and it was very disconcerting not to be able to do these things. I think most of society uses technology far too much but it's still good to be able to communicate with people when they are far away very easily--to a point!

7 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. i kept thinking that i had lost my phone. you don't realize how much you need your phone until you cant use it.
    Evan Furth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! What you said is very true we do use technology far too much, but we do need it. I love the picture!!!!

    Bekah B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baron! That's such a cute picture of you. You look so lonely and I can tell you missed your phone dearly. Oh, and I liked you blog too. The blog was very in depth and I liked how you asked questions.

    Good Job on your entire page Baron and Kevin!

    CJ Burroughs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had quite the 31 hours, Baron. I know I missed you.
    I like how you talked about how you couldn't really focus on practicing. It definitely relates these labs to our daily lives. Because that makes sense...
    After all, life is art, and beauty is truth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baron, I love this lab because you were honestly without your phone for 31 hours. It sounds like you had so much fun... Not.

    At least you got Dorian Grey Read, though.

    Also the picture is adorable, :3

    -Johannah Miller

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you made the point in which you didn't realize how much you depended on your phone. I'd agree that most people don't realize how much they need technology these days. Good job!
    -Meredith Woodson

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really liked this lab!! although you could spend less time talking about yourself and more about the project. but i really liked this lab.
    -shannon barron

    ReplyDelete